Re: [squid-users] squidGuard Question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:57:04 +0100

Should work, but as noone is following the standard on file: URLs and
differnt browsers do it differently you may need to experiment a
little to get the file: URL syntax right..

The standard file:// URL syntax is

  file://<host>/<path>

[Note: The filr: URL standard does not define how files are to be
fetched from remote hosts, or how to identify the local host other
than by FQDN]

Some browsers extend this to allow for blank hostnames equal to the
local host where the browser is running

  file:///<path>

Some browsers extend this to allow skipping the //<host> component for
specifying local files

  file:/<path>

Some understands the following as beein the local host where the
browser is running

  file://localhost/<path>

I think the file:///<path> URL syntax is the best bet, beeing
understood by most, uncluding the most supporting or expecting the
other formats, but I do not remember how MSIE does things..