[squid-users] scalable transparent load balancing

From: Dan DiNicolo <dan_dinicolo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:28:24 +0800

Hi all. Hoping that someone out there may have a solid, practical solution
for a transparent squid load balancing scenario. Right now I'm doing
volunteer work with an ISP in Mongolia.

We've got 2 squid servers up and running, configured as siblings and
functioning as they should. My issue is how best to load-balance traffic to
the two boxes. I've got two links, and the router is redirecting traffic
from one link to the first squid box, and from the second link to the second
squid box, ICP running correctly between the two. Although this works as it
should, it doesn't give me any fault tolerance since I'm using policy
routing to redirect traffic at the moment.

I've tried using WCCP, and everything works as it should, but only if I
connect the router directly to one squid server. When everything is
connected to the switch, my router sees both squid boxes, but once I enable
WCCP redirection, it isn't forwarding to the Internet, although my log files
show traffic reaching the boxes. I know that WCCP is probably the best
solution, so if anyone else has seen this problem, I'd be happy to know how
you solved it.

Mainly I want a solution that provides load-balancing, some degree of fault
tolerance, and the scalability to add more servers as things here grow.

Any thoughts or comments are sincerely appreciated.

Dan