[squid-users] Squid Message: WARNING: Cannot run <redirector> process

From: Rick Matthews <RedHat.Linux@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:35:30 -0600

I've been trying to assist a gentleman over on the squidGuard list
and I need your help, please?

I thought it would be an easy one to fix - when squid starts it logs
the following error to cache.log:
WARNING: Cannot run '/usr/local/bin/squidGuard' process.

But we've been through all of the usual issues with ownership,
permissions and paths without correcting the problem. We've recompiled
both squidGuard and squid, correcting a couple of options, but there
was no change to the problem.

His system is running Redhat 7.1 and Squid 2.5.STABLE.1.

Here's what goes into cache.log with debug on (I've removed the date
and time stamps which were all identical for these entries):
--------------
helperOpenServers: Starting 4 'squidGuard' processes
comm_open: FD 6 is a new socket
fd_open FD 6 squidGuard
comm_open: FD 7 is a new socket
fd_open FD 7 squidGuard
ipcCreate: prfd FD 7
ipcCreate: pwfd FD 7
ipcCreate: crfd FD 6
ipcCreate: cwfd FD 6
ipcCreate: FD 7 sockaddr 127.0.0.1:44113
ipcCreate: FD 6 sockaddr 127.0.0.1:44112
ipcCreate: FD 6 listening...
comm_close: FD 6
commCallCloseHandlers: FD 6
fd_close FD 6 squidGuard
leave_suid: PID 27284 called
leave_suid: PID 27284 giving up root priveleges forever
ipcCreate: calling accept on FD 6
connect FD 7: (110) Connection timed out
comm_close: FD 7
commCallCloseHandlers: FD 7
fd_close FD 7 squidGuard
WARNING: Cannot run '/usr/local/bin/squidGuard' process.
--------------
At least a couple of the processes started by squid, including the
one listed here (PID 272874) remained in a ps -ax list with the
process listed as squid:
27284 ? S 0:00 (squid) -D

Is it possible that he is missing one of the dependencies for that
version of squid? Redhat doesn't have a 2.5 RPM for 7.1 and there
may be a very good reason for that. Can someone help me with this
please?

Thanks in advance!

Rick Matthews