RE: [squid-users] McAfee Auto-Update

From: Ferry van Steen <ferry.van.steen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:45:44 +0100

Are you using Norton or McAfee? Norton's live-update works.... For more
details I'd have to be at the customer again... There really isn't a
whole lot I could give anyways. In the log files I'll see what will
appear to be a normal ftp request (if I connect to the same ftp server
with internet explorer I'll see exactly the same request). However,
explorer works and shows the list and well, mcafee just times out. It
being closed source and not logging anything doesn't give me a whole lot
of info unfortunately. It's an older version of the virusscan btw a v4.

It's been on this list before (similar, I don't get the 503, just a
time-out, something like couldn't connect/retrieve)...
http://list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0108&L=squid&P=R847
http://list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0108&L=squid&P=R895
http://list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0108&L=squid&P=R977

No solution found back then either. When I'm at the customer again I'll
gather more info. Like the squid version, the entries in the log file
for the ftp request, the actual URL (which works fine) and the error
mcafee gives. I seriously doubt it being a squid bug, rather I think
it's a mcafee problem... Sniffing the traffic would be pretty hard since
it's 1. a switched network and 2. at a company with loads of private
stuff of their patients going through the wire so I don't think they'll
allow me to sniff the traffic.

If there's anything other then the things I already mentioned that might
help let me know, I'll gather the info.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Regards