RE: [squid-users] Suggestions about content filtering programs...

From: Rick Matthews <RedHat.Linux@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 07:31:46 -0600

Boniforti Flavio wrote:

> > What is your definition of "Content-Filtering"? Do you want to
> > filter based on words (content) within an html page? Or are you
> > looking to filter based on the url of the page?
>
> Well, I'd like to be able to filter also on the contents of a page,
> like words, phrases, images, and so on...

OK, I wanted to make sure that we are using the same terminology.

By design, the function of a Squid redirector is simply to read URLs
(one per line) on standard input, and write rewritten URLs or blank
lines on standard output.
<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-15.html> Squid passes the
requested url to the redirector and waits for a response. If the
response is a blank line, Squid fetches the requested page,
otherwise Squid fetches the url that was returned.

Working strictly in that capacity, a Squid redirector (squidGuard)
cannot filter based on the contents of a page; the page content is
unknown.

> But my actual goal is to block the access to some URLs (which I
> already have set up in squid's ACLs).

SquidGuard can do an excellent job of that, though it might be a
bit of overkill if you only have a handful of sites to block. My
porn category contains 240,000 domains and 80,000 urls, and squid's
cachemgr.cgi shows an average service time for squidGuard of 1msec
(and that's on a P200 box)!

If you have additional squidGuard-specific questions, I'll invite
you to bring them to the squidGuard mailing list.
<http://www.squidguard.org/contact/>

Rick Matthews