Re: [squid-users] How to achieve password access in ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:52:27 +0100

On Thursday 12 December 2002 07.03, rmillisl@mailhost.isa-geek.net
wrote:

> How do I setup authentication and can I use the /etc/shadow files
> for this purpose safely or is there another mechanism more suitable
> such as an .htpasswd file or I have heard of people using PAM
> modules?

Using the PAM helper is probably the best approach if you want to
authenticate agains the local system accounts password database.

Just build the PAM helper, and then configure this in the basic
authentication scheme auth_param directive. It takes no arguments as
configuration is done within PAM. (see /etc/pam.d/ or man pam.conf).
This will make authentication available for use within the proxy_auth
and other user related acl directives in squid.conf.