[squid-users] How to achieve password access in ?

From: <rmillisl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:03:49 -0700 (MST)

Can someone explain how I might setup two classes of access for this
scenario and advise what the "best" ("safest?") method for password
authentication might be:

- I will block http/https from my LAN to the Internet at the firewall and
allow only the proxy/squid machine to pass through the firewall.
- Based on proxy password authentication:
- I want kids to have filtered internet access through squid/squidguard
redirector
- Adults to have unfiltered internet access

- How to grab the password for authentication? I don't really understand
how the auth mechanism works despite rereading the docs and config file
comments.

The squid box is also an NIS/NFS/Samba host so has the password files on it.

How do I setup authentication and can I use the /etc/shadow files for
this purpose safely or is there another mechanism more suitable such as
an .htpasswd file or I have heard of people using PAM modules?

Some details on the machine and software in use:

- AMD-K62-380 MHZ
- Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
- Kernel 2.4.18-18.7.x on an i586
- squid-2.4.STABLE6-6.7.3 RPM
- squidGuard-1.2.0.tar.gz
- blacklists.tar.gz from yesterday
- Squid lives on my root file system:
/dev/hda5 3.9G 2.0G 1.8G 52% /
- Memory
cat /proc/meminfo
        total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 191627264 186085376 5541888 0 56913920 103395328
Swap: 271392768 12627968 258764800
MemTotal: 187136 kB
MemFree: 5412 kB
MemShared: 0 kB