Re: [squid-users] no_cache allow problems

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 13 Dec 2002 16:34:10 +1100

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 03:00, Ondrej Cernos wrote:

> 1039744348.568 130 195.122.200.21 TCP_MISS/200 12209 GET
> http://my.domain/catalogue/getcategorytree.do - DIRECT/10.0.1.2 text/html
>
> Which means, as I understand it, that the content was not cached.

It means that the object was fetched again, which is not to say that it
wasn't cached.

> Even if try it two times with 5 seconds in between the requests.

If you hit refresh, you will be causing a MISS (or at least a IMS
request).

> Does anybody know, what am I doing wrong? Thanks for any hint,

Not offhand, but check the following:
Does your content set a max-age or Expires header? It should, to allow
effective caching.

Does your contents 'last-modified' change on every request, or does it
fail to set one? If so, caching will be less-than-effective. Consider
setting last-modified dates based on the most recent database change.

Does your content support If-Modified-Since requests? If not, consider
implementing support for If-Modified-Since based on the same algorithm
you use to generate the last-modified date.

Cheers,
Rob