Re: [squid-users] WCCP and Redhat8

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:01:11 -0600

Comments inline:

PNIXON@ci.somerville.ma.us wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses everyone, but there's something that's just not
> catching.....
>

> I've done the squid.conf, have it listening on 8080, and a virtual port of
> 80.
>
> I have my cisco router configured to send web-cache to the squid box, and I
> can see packets being redirected.
>
> However, any web traffic at the time isn't making it to squid.

Have you read all of the FAQ on transparent proxying and WCCP and
implemented a redirection rule on the Squid machine as documented there?
    Redirection at the Cisco is only the first step to getting traffic
to your Squid process. It looks like you've only read the Cisco
configuration part of the FAQ.

Do you have an appropriately patched ip_gre module, or an ip_wccp module
loaded that knows what to do with WCCP GRE encapsulated packets?

And, if using ip_gre, have you configured a gre interface (you don't
need a tunnel setup, as some online docs suggest--it is easier not to
use any explicit configuration...just turn on a dummy address on gre0
and it will work)?

> doing a netstat -A inet on the squid box shows that port 80 isn't open for
> connections.
>
> Is that right? should I just change the http_port to 80?

That is correct and there's no need to alter the Squid http_port unless
it makes you happy to do so.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.