Re: [squid-users] problem of catching password delay

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 09:45:28 -0600

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Xavier wrote:
>

>>The authentification helper is Webmin witch works fine.
>

> Webmin is an administration framework, not a Squid authentication helper.

Webmin actually has an NTLM style auth helper written in Perl included
in the Webmin installation. If you choose "Webmin default
authentication" it will setup Squid to use the Webmin auth helper. It
means the user doesn't need to know how to build an auth helper or even
know where to find the ones that were installed by a Squid package.
Webmin manages users, and can be configured to allow users to change
their password, too.

> To see what authentication helper you are using see squid.conf. If you are
> using webmin then I assume you are using Squid-2.4 (not sure if there is
> Squid-2.5 support in webmin yet). Then the squid.conf directive is
> authenticate_program. In Squid-2.5 the directive is auth_param.

There is 2.5 support as of Webmin version 1.030.

>>But here in this case, with differents tests I have made , I am sure
>>that I must Restart or Apply changes in Squid for changed passwords
>>taking effect.Perhaps there is something with Webmin ...
>
> Check if the password file gets updated when you change the users
> password.
>
> But it could also be the ttl thing if you are testing with valid accounts.
> If the user is currently logged in when you change the password then he
> must close the browser or wait for the ttl to expire before there will be
> a login prompt again..

The Webmin auth helper might cache results...I wouldn't think so (Jamie
tends to take the path of least resistence except where that path has an
associated negative impact), but I haven't actually looked at it.

Anyway, this is a question for the Webmin list, most likely.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.