Re: [squid-users] Is Squid the right tool for my situation?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:09:19 +0100

netcat or telnet is quite useful tools for this purpose.

   telnet your.squid.host 3128

if you get connected then there is no firewall.

if you get connection refused then there may be a firewall blocking
your access, or Squid is not set up to accept requests on the
contacted address (default config is to accept requests on any
interface port 3128).

to tell the two connection refused cases apart run "netstat -an | grep
3128 | grep LISTEN". This tells if the port is open or not by Squid,
and on which addresses.

if you do not no response at all then there most likely is a firewall
blocking access or something wrong with your networking..

If it is a RedHat linux system then your probably got a firewall setup
as part of your OS installation. Firewalling is generally a good
thing, but requires the firewall rules to be set up... To reconfigure
the basic RedHat firewall run the command lokkit (or gnome-lokkit for
point-and-click)