[squid-users] Problem with Parent cache: works for a few minutes, then fails ?!?

From: Gero Vermaas <gero@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:12:59 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I'm having some strange problems using a parent cache in squid running
on Mandrake Linux 9.0. When I start squid all works fine and requests
are handled correct. After a few minutes the same requests result in an
error reported by squid (see error msg below). When I restart squid
agains all works fine again for a few minutes and then it fails again. I
increased the debug level and attached some information from the
cache.log. It reports that it's failing but it does not help me to
understand what the problem is (for example "X-Squid-Error:
ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD 11").
Maybe some of you can help me out, the fact that it initially works and
only starts failing after several minutes really confuses me. I did try
this with differen parent caches and all gave the same results.

Some details:
Squid version 2.4 running on Mandrake Linux 9.0

The Browser reports:
ERROR
While trying to retrieve the
URL:http://teletekst.nos.nl/cgi-bin/tt/nos/page/t/o/m/127
The following error was encountered:

    * *Unable to forward this request at this time.*

This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to any
parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that:

    * The cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct
      connections to origin servers, and
    * All configured parent caches are currently unreachable.

Your cache administrator is root <mailto:root>.
Generated Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:05:00 GMT by gerolt2.sun.com
(Squid/2.4.STABLE7)

Any ideas?

Regards,

Gero Vermaas