[squid-users] Sizing / Configuration Squid

From: Sturgis, Grant <Grant.Sturgis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:18:26 -0700

Greetings all,

My apologize if this is covered in the FAQ or on a regular basis on this
list; I have done <some> research.

I am interested in knowing if I have sized my squid server appropriately for
deployment. In particular I am interested in memory utilization and
redirectors spawned. I will be deploying the proxy server to a user base of
around 400 PCs, but am currently testing with about 20 users.

I understand that paging is a very bad thing for performance in general and
is especially important for squid. I have played with cache_mem quite a bit
to make it as large as possible without getting into swapping. I have gone
everywhere from default to 128 MB and am currently running at 96 MB and
squid process has grown to 120 MB.

The second question has to do with the number of redirectors spawned. I am
currently using adzapper (perl) and am spawning 16 process at startup (RSS =
3168 for EACH - yikes). I am just outside the "WARNING: All redirector
processes are busy" threshold, and am prepared to up that number as needed.

Does anyone have any rough numbers to talk about in these areas (including
numbers of users supported)? Is there a doc about this that I have missed?

TIA all,

Grant
This electronic message transmission is a PRIVATE communication which
contains information which may be confidential or privileged. The
information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information
is prohibited. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to
this message, or notify us by telephone (877-633-2436, ext. 0), and then
delete it from your system.