Re: [squid-users] denied pages

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:51:59 +0100

Andrei Boros wrote:

> Netscape 4.x for example prefers to override the displayed document if
> an embeded page returned an error with page generated by squid.
>
> By embedded I mean a a frame contents, a css file, a js file.
> This mostly happens with ads.
>
> How can I fix this problem?

Not very easy to fix without upgrading to a browser where the problem is
corrected.

The problem is that the browser knows how to deal with errors when
talking directly to the Internet, but not when it is using a proxy.

Returning errors is generally a good thing to explain why the request
failed.

Also HTTP provides no good means for a proxy to know if the request is
used in a embedded object or if it is a direct page request. This is a
problem with such misbehaving browsers, but also a problem when doing
redirection and other fancy stuff in Squid.. redirecting an embedded
object such as a script or layer object to another HTML page usually
does not have the desired effect..