Re: [squid-users] How to prevent Squid from doing the following...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:01:53 +0100

Yes.

What most likely happened is that some other system service got the
same PID as Squid had before the reboot, and you did not give Squid
time to shut down itself cleanly when rebooting the machine. When you
start Squid Squid first checks if the pid stored in it's pid file
exists, if a process with the same pid exists then Squid assumes it
is a Squid and complains.