Re: [squid-users] How to prevent Squid from doing the following...

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:55:21 +0100

>Dear Sirs,

>just yesterday I've type "reboot" in the root shell. System is

 Typing reboot in the root shell, implies knowing what you are doing.
 It's a bit like typing 'marriage' in a life situation...

>FreeBSD-4.7S, squid is 2.5STABLE1. After squid complained that "squid
>process is already running, pid is 306" and squid refused to start.
>Actually, yes, there was /usr/local/squid/logs/squid.pid which contained
>"306", but squid was not running.

>So, do I just "rm" that file during startup just for sure ? or there's a
>way to tell squid to start anyway ?

 Installed mechanisms for software to be able to control
 itself may indeed loose meaning, in a scope beyond and were
 the intended mechanism was supposed to be used for.

 But avoid default argument reasoning on the list,
 if possible.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM