[squid-users] Squid Performance Issues

From: Stephan Austermuehle <au@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:32:28 +0100

Hi!

I noticed that my Squid Cache (2.4.STABLE7) doesn't exceed a throughput
higher than that of the Internet connection's speed (about 200 kByte/s)
even with definitely cached objects requested by exactly one client (I
tested this with wget, Opera, apt-get on the server itself and on
another system). The system running Squid is a Dual-Xeon 1.8 GHz
equipped with 1 GByte memory and a 6 disk hardware RAID 10 (striping +
mirroring) running Linux 2.4.20 with XFS connected to the network with
Gigabit Ethernet.

So the client (connected with Fast Ethernet) reaches the same
performance with or without using the Squid Cache (I'll double checked
that the client really uses the Squid Cache and the cache doesn't access
the Internet). Can anyone give me a hint on where to look for the
performance bottleneck(s)? The same components deliver a bonnie++ tested
network throughput of 4,400 kByte/s (seq char read) up to 11,400 kByte/s
(seq block read) using NFS.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stephan