[squid-users] poor performance

From: Alceu R. de Freitas Jr. <glasswalk3r@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 08:47:00 -0300 (ART)

Hello folks,

I´m running a Squid 2.4.STABLE7 - 4 on a Red Hat 7.3,
in a machine with 1GHZ AMD processor, with 1Gb of
memory. I´m using a IDE HD with 30Gb.

In this same machine, I´m running Samba, a FTP server,
Bind (as cache) and Apache. At first view you may
think I´m crazy to run all this services in a single
machine, but the main process running is Squid: the
others are rarely used (I could check it with the
program "top").

This machine I giving me poor performance with Squid.
I´ve made everything I could to improve it´s
performance: setup the machine to use cache_mem =
250Mbs, use cache for fqnd and ip, I have a Bind
server acting as cache in this machine too.

I "think" is a problem with the cache, because the
names are resolved fast, but Squid "hangs" a little
time before sending me the page.

If I erase the cache and creates a new one, Squid
hangs for the first time, loading the page little by
little. After, if I look for the same page, Squid
hangs again, and then send everything to me at once.

The sad part of history is, if I gave direct access to
the machine to the Internet, the conection is faster
than using Squid. And the client machine is using the
same DNS server.

I cannot determine why the proxy is getting so much
time to gimme an answer. I not using many acl rules
(ten to twelve, to give an example) so I don´t believe
this is the problem. I´m not using ident as well.

I´m thinking about to create a separated partition for
the cache, since it´s using the /var/ partition. I
could have better performance doing this?

I´m using EXT3 as the filesystem. I´m thinking about
trying to get better answer from the disk using hdparm
to improve it´s performance, but I´m afraid to have
data corruption.

Any tip you can give me to improve performance, or
documentation related to this would be wonderful.

Thank you,

=====
Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior
glasswalk3r@yahoo.com.br
http://www.imortais.cjb.net

--
O que você ainda está fazendo aqui? O email já acabou!
Vá embora!