Re: [squid-users] Ciber Coffee

From: Mika Aleksandroff <mika.aleksandroff@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 23:39:09 +0200

On Wed January 8 2003 23:23, Wagner wrote:
> We'll have to measure how much time the user is spending navigating the
> web...
> For example, if a user have a 30 minutes time, we want to measure this
> time, and maybe warn when it is 10 minutes or 5 minutes left...
> Or if the user navigate only 15 minutes, then come back another day to
> spend the remaining time...
> Is it possible to have this user time control in squid?? Any ideas how
> to implement it??

You possibly could do it by using authentication together with an external
redirector having its own database where it keeps data about authenticated
users. I.e. every time user makes a request your program checks with the
DB when was the last time this client was seen and subtract his/her
balance. For warning messages you could propably use windows popup
messages and talk or similar for unix/Mac. It's propably not a good idea
to redirect the client to some "you have only xx minutes left!"-page all
of a sudden..

You should have some kind of time limits and/or house cleaning cron
processes for deciding when a client has left the building and taking care
of his/her balance (avoid "over-charging") in such a case.

When done "right" I'd imagine it's not even limited to squid usage. And if
you do it really well you might even be able to disguise it as something
other than a hack...

But this is just from the top of my head so I'm propably missing something
essential.

--
Mika Aleksandroff, Kymenlaakson AMK
Words are a deceit, a shore no beach.