RE: [squid-users] compiling squid on dev machine, then moving to production machine

From: Mike Cudmore <Mike.Cudmore@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:09:22 +0000

great,

could you give me a pointer as to how you build your package ?

Thanks

Mike

Regards
Mike Cudmore
GSI & Intranet Connectivity Team

>>> David Gameau <David.Gameau@unisa.edu.au> 01/09/03 12:16am >>>
> From: Mike Cudmore [mailto:Mike.Cudmore@dft.gsi.gov.uk]
>
> Your suggestion does not always suit production needs.
> For instance, there are good security reasons not to have
> compilers/perl etc on production boxes.
> I understand the need for same os'es and accept that this is
necessary
> for the binary that is moved top work properly.
>
> The os'es, architecture are and will be the same.
>
> I also intend to build multiple squids. I don't want to build
multiple
> dev boxes then harden them prior to going into production.
>
> Anyone else done this ?

We do this at our site, where Squid is compiled on one machine, and
then placed
into a package so we can easily install it any other machine of the
same
architecture/OS (both production and development).

David.
__

David Gameau
ISTS - Unix Team
University of South Australia

email: David.Gameau@UniSA.edu.au
phone: +61 8 302 3533
fax: +61 8 302 5800

Disclaimer: "His brain sometimes stops working." - Chiyo, Azumanga
Daioh

PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE MESSAGE WAS RECEIVED FROM THE INTERNET.

On entering the GSI, this email was scanned for viruses by the
Government Secure Intranet (GSI) virus scanning service supplied
exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.

GSI users see http://www.gsi.gov.uk/main/new2002notices.htm for further
details. In case of problems, please call your organisational IT
helpdesk.

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and
they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
the E-mail and any files have been transmitted to you in error
and any copying, distribution or other use of the information
contained in them is strictly prohibited.

Nothing in this E-mail message amounts to a contractual
or other legal commitment on the part of the Government
unless confirmed by a communication signed on behalf of
the Secretary of State.

The Department's computer systems may be monitored
and communications carried on them recorded, to secure
the effective operation of the system and for other lawful
purposes.