Re: [squid-users] Rotation of Log Files

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 09 Jan 2003 19:21:39 +0100

tor 2003-01-09 klockan 17.02 skrev Technology Listserves:

> Regarding the logfile_rotate option: I want to rotate the storage.log and access.log files. Should I set the option to be logfile_rotate 10? Would this set it to rotate all the of files I have?

Correct, if you want to use the builtin log rotation of Squid.

> Supposing I want to rotate the log files at midnight. Based on what I read, I think I should enter:
> 0 0 * * * /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -k rotate

This is a crontab entry.
  man 5 crontab
  man 1 crontab

> Is the path suppose to be the location of the log files? I store our log files in a different directory.
> Where do I place this entry? Does it go in the squid.conf file?

The builtin log rotation only rotates the logs. It does not archive the
logs elsewhere.

If you want more flexible log rotation then use a external log rotation
tools such as "logrotate" or similar, and set "logfile_rotate 0" in
squid.conf. (see squid.conf comments on meaning of 0)