Re: [squid-users] ftp "put" not working in Squid/2.4.STABLE7?

From: Brendan Macmillan <bren@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:47:10 +1100

Thank you so much Henrik!!

You are a genius! (actually, I don't really know that for sure, but you are
certainly indistinguishable from a genius from my point of view!). You've
just saved me hundreds of dollars, hours of frustration (I've spent several
already), and made me feel much better about the world. :-)

> > The folder "ftp:..................................................." is
> > read-only because the proxy server is not set up to
> > allow full access.
>
> No versions of IE to my knowledge implements FTP PUT via HTTP proxies.
Ah, so that's how Squid does it... I assumed it was done with an ftp proxy
within Squid (if that makes sense).

Do any proxies other than Squid do ftp put in a different way? (I can't
actually switch from Squid, so this is just out of curiousity).

> If this is a feature you need please request Microsoft to have it
> implemented.
hehehe - OK, I will; tho I can just use Netscape 4, for now.

> The support for FTP PUT via HTTP proxies seems to have been removed in
> Netscape 6.X and later (Mozilla based).

"IE catch-up": a suboptimal strategy.

> To test your Squid try with a Netscape 4.x client. Remember to end the
> URL with a / or else Netscape won't understand it is a directory where
> you can upload stuff..

Works beautifully! Your tip about the "/" also very helpful, for
subdirectories (you can't just navigate, but have to add the "/"
when you reach your target).

Kind regards and cheers,
Brendan Macmillan