Re: [squid-users] ftp "put" not working in Squid/2.4.STABLE7?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 16 Jan 2003 16:36:43 +0100

tor 2003-01-16 klockan 14.47 skrev Brendan Macmillan:

> > No versions of IE to my knowledge implements FTP PUT via HTTP proxies.
>
> Ah, so that's how Squid does it... I assumed it was done with an ftp proxy
> within Squid (if that makes sense).

It is not so much a question about how Squid does it as how your browser
does it.

When a browser is configured to use a proxy via the normal proxy
settings, it expects to find a HTTP proxy there. This HTTP proxy then
acts as a gateway to ftp:// and gopher:// URL spaces, translating HTTP
to/from the requested url protocol.

Meaning, when you request a ftp:// url in a browser configured to use a
proxy then the browser sends a GET HTTP request for that URL to your
proxy. Similarily for uploading, the browser sends a PUT HTTP requests
to the proxy.

There is other proxies operating at a lower level, such as msproxy with
msproxy client installed. In such case you do not configure the browser
to use a proxy, but another software installed on your computer (i.e.
the msproxy client) intercepts the requests made by your browser and
forwards this to the proxy.

Another alternative is to use SOCKS proxies. Some browsers have SOCKS as
an alternative proxy setting.

> > To test your Squid try with a Netscape 4.x client. Remember to end the
> > URL with a / or else Netscape won't understand it is a directory where
> > you can upload stuff..
>
> Works beautifully! Your tip about the "/" also very helpful, for
> subdirectories (you can't just navigate, but have to add the "/"
> when you reach your target).

The / should be there automatically in almost all cases. Only if Squid
by the FTP prior directory listing cant tell that the name is a
directory will you end up wrongly, or if you make direct URLs to a FTP
directory without trailing /.