[squid-users] hosts-file understanding

From: Pat Lendon <plendon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:31:02 -0500

Hello All,

An issue we had has been resolved. Can you explain?

We were running squid-2.4-STABLE7. The squid.conf included
append_domain microcenter.com
We opened a browser, typed "proxyserver" and a web page would be
displayed containing link to download a file. We could click on link
and download file. The web page data and file to download is found on
the local proxy server.

When we upgraded to squid-2.5-STABLE1,
We opened a browser, typed"proxyserver" and a web page would be
displayed containing link to download a file. We would click on link
and get a "111 connection refused error message".
However, if I typed "proxyserver.microcenter.com", then I could click on
link and download file.

In the squid-2.5-STABLE1 squid.conf, when I set
hosts_file /etc/hosts
hosts_file none
then I could type "proxyserver" (without typing
proxyserver.microcenter.com), click on link and download file.

Why was the hosts_file option added to squid?
Why did I need to set "hosts_file none" to get above working?
Should I be using hosts_file /etc/hosts?
Any advantages/disadvangaes to using hosts_file?

I just don't have a clear understanding of above issue and why resolved
with setting
hosts_file none.

Thank you.