[squid-users] SQUID Throughput Testing

From: Paul Reilly <pareilly@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:44:14 +0000 (GMT)

Our networks people think that our SQUID proxies are the limiting
factor in utilising our full bandwidth pipe. So I need to benchmark
squid, and see how much bandwidth I can push through it. What are the
best tools to do this?

I've been looking in to Web Polygraph, and have setup two servers both
with GB interfaces, one running squid the other web polygraph. We have
a backbone GB network, connected to the internet via a GB link
which is rate limited to 120 Mbit. I want to know can I saturate the
120 Mbit link while going through the proxy.

Is web polygraph the best tool for this?
I read somehwere it's measurements are based on a fixed bandwidth, when my
test will be trying to measure bandwidth variance with different proxy
settings (cacheing, object size, authentication etc)

Any advice on how best to measure the maximium bandwidth I can push
through SQUID would be appreciated.

Paul