Re: [squid-users] Restricted sites during office hours?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 20 Jan 2003 21:44:50 +0100

mån 2003-01-20 klockan 19.52 skrev Gavin Hamill:
> Hi :)
>
> I'm writing to ask about Squid's suitability for a little project I've been
> asked to oversee...
>
> Basically it's this - Company X is using MS BackOffice. They want to get rid
> of it and use Linux, on the strength of our sales pitch and that Linux will
> do Wonderful Things for them :)
>
> So, one of their requests is that web access from their employees be logged,
> and most importantly - during office hours (0900 -> 1300 , 1400 -> 1730) they
> are only permitted to view sites from a 'whitelist' the management will
> provide.

Yes, this is easily done with Squid. All you need is two access lists,
one identifying managers, and another identifying the "whitelist" of
sites the others are allowed to access..

The use of authentication to identify the users is strongly recommended.
Using IP addresses is a mess.

Note: If users are using Windows with MSIE then no extra login is
reqired. See the Squid FAQ.

The Squid logs will also provide you with nice logs to make neat
statistics showing who is using the Internet for what at what time..

.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden