Re: [squid-users] ftp "put" and Netscape 4.8

From: Brendan Macmillan <bren@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:14:08 +1100

The main concern is ftp that works via a proxy (Squid, in this case).

IE and Netscape 7 don't allow ftp "put" via a proxy.

> Err, about IE, as much as I sometimes dislike it (no offense to Mr. Gates),
> it does working the ftp put fine. On a single or groupped files. Tried IE
> version was 5.5 and 6.0.
Were you trying via a proxy?

> Perhaps you miss one thing ( the most important thing, in my opinion ), that
> is the ftp server rules and policies. Some ftp engine (proftpd, wu-ftpd and
> .... I think bftpd) can policed by its admins to allowing users to upload
> files but not creating subdirectories (or folder in your term). While
> Netscape uploading your files, it received reply messages from ftp server
> that it will not allow Netscape asking to create folders. Perhaps this is
> the situation when you tried to drag-and-drop a folder.
> There is another possibility. If this ftp server is actually located behind
> firewall and rejecting any other port (this is also known as passive mode)
> while Netscape asking its port mode ftp, the results should be obvious.
> My suggestion from above situations is asking ftp server admins whether they
> allow users creating folder and using port mode, or not.
The ftp server works fine via regular ftp - you can do anything you want.
The problem is that my University now requires all external ftp to go
via a proxy.

> There you go. Referring to your previous mail, I don't think it is a
> Squid-related problem.
>
> Just to my curiousity, why not using 'real ftp client' such as GlobalScape's
> CuteFTP?
Will it work via a proxy like Squid? I had a look round, but couldn't
find any.

Cheers,
Brendan