Re: [squid-users] ftp "put" and Netscape 4.8

From: Anthony M. Rasat <a.m.rasat@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:58:51 +0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brendan Macmillan" <bren@mail.csse.monash.edu.au>
To: "Anthony M. Rasat" <a.m.rasat@palangkaraya.speed.net.id>;
<squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] ftp "put" and Netscape 4.8

> Hi Anthony,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.

[ ... grin... ] You're welcome.

> > Not being such brainer here, "but just in case", do you have any other
> > browser beside Netscape? If so, perhaps you should try to imitate your
> > actions there.
>
> Netscape 4.8 is the first web browser I've found that does ftp "put" via
> a proxy correctly (thanks to Henrick on this list) - Netscape 7 doesn't
> work, neither does the latest IE. I haven't tried other browsers.

Err, about IE, as much as I sometimes dislike it (no offense to Mr. Gates),
it does working the ftp put fine. On a single or groupped files. Tried IE
version was 5.5 and 6.0.
Perhaps you miss one thing ( the most important thing, in my opinion ), that
is the ftp server rules and policies. Some ftp engine (proftpd, wu-ftpd and
... I think bftpd) can policed by its admins to allowing users to upload
files but not creating subdirectories (or folder in your term). While
Netscape uploading your files, it received reply messages from ftp server
that it will not allow Netscape asking to create folders. Perhaps this is
the situation when you tried to drag-and-drop a folder.
There is another possibility. If this ftp server is actually located behind
firewall and rejecting any other port (this is also known as passive mode)
while Netscape asking its port mode ftp, the results should be obvious.
My suggestion from above situations is asking ftp server admins whether they
allow users creating folder and using port mode, or not.

> "curl" is a non-download tool, but it also doesn't handle recursions etc
> automatically.
>
> > 1. Find Netscape proxy setting, configure it to manually insert proxy IP
> > address and port. Insert your proxy setting. Then try your previous
action,
> > the first.
> > 2. Don't use any proxy. If there is setting for automatically configure
> > proxy, don't turn it on since it is just another way to find a proxy.
Then
> > try your action again.
>
> The proxy aspect does work, so I'm not sure what difference this would
> make.... but there's lot of things I don't know, so I'll try it.
>
> [...trying now...]
>
> Get the same results with manual settings.

There you go. Referring to your previous mail, I don't think it is a
Squid-related problem.

Just to my curiousity, why not using 'real ftp client' such as GlobalScape's
CuteFTP? Or any other GUI ftp client. It'll saves your sweat since every
replies from ftp server will be clearly written and logged.

> Cheers,
> Brendan

Happy troubleshooting.