Re: [squid-users] ftp "put" and Netscape 4.8

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 21 Jan 2003 17:51:01 +0100

tis 2003-01-21 klockan 13.58 skrev Anthony M. Rasat:

> Err, about IE, as much as I sometimes dislike it (no offense to Mr. Gates),
> it does working the ftp put fine. On a single or groupped files. Tried IE
> version was 5.5 and 6.0.

Yes it works when not using a proxy. The point here is that it does NOT
work if you configure IE to use a proxy such as Squid.

> There you go. Referring to your previous mail, I don't think it is a
> Squid-related problem.

It is Squid-related, but it is not a Squid problem (at least not for the
case of upload of a single file). More of a browser implementation
problem.

> Just to my curiousity, why not using 'real ftp client' such as GlobalScape's
> CuteFTP? Or any other GUI ftp client. It'll saves your sweat since every
> replies from ftp server will be clearly written and logged.

Real FTP clients have no chance of working with Squid. You need a HTTP
client such as a browser to work with Squid.

Some of the "Real FTP clients" have a proxy mode which works with HTTP
proxies like Squid. However, in such case the "FTP client" is not a FTP
client at all but a HTTP client..

Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden