[squid-users] Squid with IE5.5SP2 and IE6SP1

From: Leopold.Aichinger <leopold.aichinger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:18:21 +0100

In Dezember 2002 I have installed two new firewalls with
Redhat8.0.
On both machines squid is running, on one machine squid2.5STABLE1 and on
the other squid 2.4STABLE7

Since that time we have a great problem with IE5.5SP2
and IE6SP1 on NT4 and W2k
Alle this IEs have alle Patches included (also the last
one with the number q324929 from Dezember 2002.)
Connection with this IEs is very slow, and if you connect
to a webside with a lot of pictures, some pictures will
not be loaded - a refresh then will do the job.

IE5.5 with no Patches and ServicePacks works fine, also
Opera6 and Netscape7 have no Problem.
Under Linux Netscape and Opera are very fast and
IE on Macintosh makes also no Problem.

I think this has nothing to do with the authentification-
problem discussed earlier on this maillist, because I don't
use any authentification on the machine with squid4.5STABLE1
and only NCSA-Authentifikation on the second proxy and there is
no difference between both machines if we use this damned IEs.

Both are compiled out of the source with the following options:
export CC="gcc"
export CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -mcpu=i686 -funroll-loops
-fomit-frame-pointer"
./configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/sbin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
--localstatedir=/var/squid --sysconfdir=/etc/squid
--disable-ident-lookups --enable-cache-digests --enable-truncate
--enable-snmp --enable-arp-acl --enable-delay-pools
--enable-err-language=German --enable-ipf-transparent
--enable-linux-netfilter --enable-icmp --enable-dl-malloc
--enable-gnuregex --enable-time-hack --enable-async-io=32

Without --enable-async-io no change (sorry)

We do a redirect to the both squid-firewalls from an other
Linuxbox(Redhat8), which splits(redirects) the traffic
based on the source-address to one of the two squids.
But this cannot be the reason, because if we connect
the browsers directly to the proxies we face the same
behavior.

So I am where sad about that and I fear I will loose
my linux-firewall if I don't find a solution, because
I do the administration for free and the sysadmin don't
like my influence in their "environment"
(They think linux-kernel 2.4.x or/and squid is the reason
and not the IEs - before I installed the two firewalls we
used one firewall with linux-kernel 2.2.20 and Squid2.3STABLE5, and it
worked fine for all browsers.)

I use this old squid.conf now for the new squids.
(because it is a proofed configuration - I thought).
So every help is much asked for and
thanks a lot !!!

leo

PS: Sorry for my poor english!

--
Pinguintauchtiefen:
Adéliepinguine bis zu 240 m (90 % der Zeit allerdings bis zu 90 m)