Re: [squid-users] Is it possible to serve stale content on ERR_READ_TIMEOUT?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:52:08 +0100

"Rhodes, Paul" wrote:

> Ok. I now see where I was going wrong. After digging through client_side.c I
> can now see that if Last-Modified is not present, it will immeadiately
> invalidate the STALE version, before making the request.
>
> I was sending the following headers...
>
> Cache-Control: public
> Expires: <current time + 1 minute>
>
> Shouldn't it do the same behaviour in this case as when the Last-Modified is
> present?

When there is no Last-Modified Squid cannot revalidate the content once
it has expired as there is no reference to compare the two replies on.

But yes, it should be possible to make Squid send stale expired content
if fetching a new copy fails, not only when revalidating fails. This is
however a slightly different codepath as you discovered and does not
have such functionality today.