[squid-users] transparant proxying and redirecting

From: Mike Putter <mputter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:46:25 +0100

I've searched the FAQ and scanned for hundreds of postings but was not able
to find a practical solution for transparant redirecting with squid:
My Linux (Mandrake 9.0) box acts as a gateway and proxyserver.
With iptables I redirect every HTTP request to squid:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p TCP --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128

I've setup transparant proxying:
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

Unfortunately, I still can't surf the web -UNLESS: I configure my browser
(IE6) to use 192.168.1.1 port 80.
Now that shouldn't be needed with transparant proxying, right ? So, what's
missing ?

Furthermore: I want to restrict users to access only one (or a few sites).
How can the user be forced that the first page he sees is, for instance
www.squid-cache.org, irregardless of what he types in the address-bar of his
browser. I think that squid is not able to do so, as the URL path needs to
be rewritten, right ? I did find a posting about some Perl script to do
this, but I really don't know how to use or activate this script before
squid processes the request further.

If more info is needed I'll be glad to dig it up for you !

Mike