RE: [squid-users] My squid is becoming t

From: Robert Adkins <raa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:44:00 -0500

        I would have to disagree about it being related to the kernel with Red
Hat 7.3, as I have had squid running on Red Hat 7.3 with an uptime of
more then 60 days without any kind of slowdown.

        I would take a look at 'top' and see what is taking up the most memory
and also the most CPU time. It could also be related to your network
traffic hitting that server, if that gets incredibly high, it might look
like the service is slowing down, when it is really just the LAN
connection.

        My server is running 1GB of RAM has two 60GB HD's, One NIC card and also
acts as our Samba PDC with about 15 different shares on it. This services
a network of 18 workstations.

        I would check your RAM usage. Another thing it sounds like could be your
cache might be setup to large for your office and it is making your
system hit the swap drive. (That would seriously give you some slowdown.)
For my network, I left everything in the squid.conf file at the defaults,
except for the MUST change items. Those required changes being the
location of the logfiles, the location of the cache directory and
administrator's e-mail, just the basic items.

        At most the squid process rarely takes up over 17MB of memory on the
system. My users also never complain of any slowness or web browsing
errors either.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer