Re: [squid-users] 'Request Hit Ratios' and 'Byte Hit Ratios'

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:53:45 +0100

Marc Elsen wrote:

> My tax advisor says : there are no stupid questions.
>
> I think 'Request Hit Radios' refer to object hit rates,
> while 'Byte Hit Ratios' refer to byte hit rate versus cache dir
> (sizes).

You are on the correct track, but cache dir sizes have nothing to do
with it except that a larger cache dir allows for more data to be cached
which then allows for higher hit ratios..

"Request Hit Ratio" is how many percent of the requests in number of
requests was cache hits. One line in access.log is one request and may
be anywhere from a few bytes to many megabytes in size (all sizes counts
as one requests)

"Byte Hit Ratio" is how many percent of the requests is number of bytes
sent to the client was cache hits.