Re: [squid-users] How do I set the sotrage up in the most efficientway?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:34:10 +0100

Ilker Gokhan wrote:

> Prefer SCSI disk instead of IDE disk (don't use RAID5 as well) If you
> have chance.

Modern IDE drives works quite well. With 4 IDE drives properly
configured for best performance you will quite likely run into other
limitations than disk I/O with Squid..

But RAID2-5 for the cache drives with only 4 drives in 1 set will almost
certainly cause I/O bottlenecks unless most of your traffic consists of
large objects or rarely changes. This is due to the ECC calculation
involving all drives on each write, very effectively limiting the
awailable bandwidth for small random writes to one drive. There is a lot
of small random writes in normal web caching as the median object is
small and usually fits in one or two blocks, plus filesystem metadata in
two or three additional random blocks..