[squid-users] ANN: "HeadsUp" Display Internet Access Policy or MOTD

From: HeadsUp Support <headsup_popup@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 14:30:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

A couple of months ago, my boss asked me if it was
possible to display an Internet Access Policy when
users first launch their browsers without setting the
"Home" or "Start" page. His thought was that it should

be possible with our current Squid Servers. I searched

the mailing list and noticed the question had been
asked before but it wasn't possible without some
coding. I let him know.

The problem bugged me for ages. I do not know how to
program in C so writing the necessary code was not an
option for me. Also what about sites that do not use a

Proxy Server or a server other than Squid. To cut a
long story short I developed an application in TCL
that I want to share with the Squid community in an
effort to give something back and hopefully to help
others.

The application is called "HeadsUp" and it can display

an Internet Access Policy or Message of the Day(MOTD)
to users. Browsers need to be configured to use a PAC
file and a slight change to any existing PAC file is
all that is needed. The PAC file directs the browsers
first request to the server which is running
"HeadsUp". "HeadsUp" downloads a page which brings up
a Popup window and causes the browser to reload the
page again to load the real page. "HeadsUp" is
available from http://www.freewebs.com/headsup It is
built on Tclhttpd a webserver in written pure TCL and
packaged as a Starkit. It runs on Windows, Linux,
HP-UX, Tru64 and Solaris.

Easy to install, just copy 2 files to your system and
run. No compiling necessary. To uninstall delete the 2
files!

Enjoy!

Kind Regards

Jeff Smith