Re: [squid-users] squid weirdness

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:42:19 +0100

Rolf Schatzmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running Squid 2.4.7-1 on a Debian Potato system with the 2.4.19 =
> kernel. I have been running squid for about a year on this box with no =
> problems. Suddenly last week the cache started giving timeout errors =
> within a fraction of a second of requesting the page. The addresses in =
> question all resolve OK and it does the same thing if I use IPs. If you =
> keep hitting refresh it sometimes draws part of the page and sometimes =
> the whole thing, but nearly always comes back with the read timeout, no =
> url page.
>
> I have been through squid.conf and tried everything that seemed sane, =
> the read timeouts are set to normal default values.
>
> I tried nuking and rebuilding the cache but no effect. I can restart =
> squid and it still does the same thing, I have tailed all the log files =
> on max debug (500MB cache.log in about 3 mins!) but I can't find any =
> obvious cause, squid reports a cache miss most of the time.
>
> The only thing that fixes the problem is a complete restart of the =
> server, after that it works fine for a few to several hours.

 Seems to indicate that system factors may be involved , which may
 be unrelated to a native problem with squid :

   - check output of 'dmesg'
   - check /var/log/messages on a regular basis.

 Watch for weird messages, especially networking errors.

   - Check the Linux part of the squid fax, has anyone been
     tweaking with the system (checkout TCP ECN settings e.g)...

   - Check cache.log (squid), during problem window, watch for
     additional error info.

 M.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM