[squid-users] Performance problems after unclear load situation (2.5.STABLE2, Solaris 8)

From: Jost Krieger <Jost.Krieger+squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:48:56 +0100

Our cache has been hopping along nicely for quite a long time,
doing up to 100req./sec. without many problems.

Since a few weeks, however, we repeatedly see the following scenario:

When the general network load goes up (we have reserved soem bandwidth for the
cache), first the number of requests/sec drops dramtically, then the
reaction time increases steeply (up to more that a second for a *hit*).

Unfortunately, this state is stable :-) Stopping and restarting squid helps.

We have checked the rest of the load on the machine, but there's enough CPU left,
there's enough memory left, and it isn't the listen queue either.

I'm running out of ideas where to look. We are already planning a separate cache
on a Linux system, but I would really like to figure this one out.

Thanks for any help
Jost

--
| Jost.Krieger+sig@ruhr-uni-bochum.de Please help stamp out spam! |
| Postmaster, JAPH, resident answer machine am RZ der RUB |