Re: [squid-users] Performance problems after unclear load situation (2.5.STABLE2, Solaris 8)

From: Jost Krieger <Jost.Krieger+squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:39:12 +0100

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:41:53PM -0600, Peter Smith wrote:
> I would make 2 guesses. First is, what type of NICs do you have? There
> have been many problems with the TG3/Broadcom series of cards.

I'm working with a totally unloaded Gigabit interface. The bottleneck is
on the Internet connection, where we only have paid for 40MB/s.

> The
> other one is, what size/type of disk cache are you using?

A 32GB SCSI-RAID1 on 4 disks using mirroring of 2 pairs.

> If you turn
> caching off, do you still have slowness?

I'm not sure I should try that under full load ...

> If you run 'top', do you see
> squid processes that are in state "D" a lot (waiting for disk?)

My top doesn't have that state :-) Squid seems to be running or sleeping most
of the time, though.

> How
> many page faults is the server making? Perhaps it is constantly paging?

Doesn't look like that, but I'll follow it at the next "episode". Currently it
just does a few hundred kilobyte pageins every 3 seconds from the filesystem.

Thanks Jost

--
| Jost.Krieger+sig@ruhr-uni-bochum.de  Please help stamp out spam! |
| Postmaster, JAPH, resident answer machine          am RZ der RUB |