Re: [squid-users] Squid2.4 & /etc/hosts

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 06:33:20 +0100

Jay Turner wrote:

> But it is maintained by Red Hat who backport any security patches to the 2.4
> version they ship with 7.3.

Sure.. you get the most blatant security fixes, but nearly no other bug
fixes.

If you have any issue with Squid-2.4 and ask here on Squid-users the
first response will unconditionally be upgrade to the current STABLE
release.

> If you could please re-read my post you will note that I have recompiled
> with --disable-internal-dns and it successfully references /etc/hosts for
> http:// pages. My question relates to https:// pages and having squid do a
> local lookup from somewhere for the IP address rather than fetching it from
> the DNS (as it does with /etc/hosts for http:// requests).

Squid does not make any difference between hostnames in a GET or a
CONNECT request.

What does access.log show for these "https://" requests (btw, Squid-2.4
technically does not support https://, only proxy tunnelling of SSL via
CONNECT).