[squid-users] filling in passwords and usernames with a redirector

From: Josh Kuperman <josh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:15:57 -0500

Is there something special about how squid as opposed to squidGuard
generates or handles rewriting?

I am getting odd and unusual as well as varied results trying to do
this using squidGuard instead of squid as the rewriter. Mozilla comes
back with "Redirection limit for this page exceeded. Unable to load
page" while MSIE 6 comes back with its famous and uninformative "the
page you are looking for is unavailable".

I suspect I just have some sort of squidGuard configuration error. But
before I spend a week of my life on it I would like to know if there
is something unique about redirectors in squid as opposed to squidguard.

Ages ago in an older squid I was able to supply a user name and passwd
to a site using simply authentication as follows:

#!/usr/bin/perl
# Redirect from the FAQ
$|=1;
while (<>) {
    s/http:\/\/www\.site\.us/http:\/\/user:password\@www\.site\.us/;
}

No I'm trying to do more or less the same thing with SquidGuard which
lets me insert the roughly equivalent sed command

    s@http://www.site.us@http://user:password\@www.site.us@;

into a predifined rewrite expression.

--
Josh Kuperman