Re: [squid-users] Host Acceleration.

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 07 Feb 2003 10:16:12 +1100

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 22:05, Neil Marjoram wrote:
> I am hoping someone can help me with 3 problems I am having deploying
> Squid.
>
> I have a very restricive brief from management about how this should
> work, and a large quote from some company to make it work - which we can
> not afford as a charity, but no evidence it will work!!
>
> I have a web site which has a CMS with all pages set not to cache, in
> front of this is an Apache server with various cache settings in a
> 'static' web site.
>
> My problem:
>
> A) Overide the cache setting, and cache all pages from our sites in my
> cache server.

You could do this with the Surrogate Control header. This functionality
is in ESI development branch of squid. See www.esi.org for
documentation.

> B) Make sure that we don't allow any other cache to cache our site
> (unfortunate but our charity funding is dependant on supplying stats
> from our web server, which is why our legacy CMS is set to not cache.)

Whilst you can tell other caches not to cache, you can't enforce it...
Also, you might find that telling other caches to use a max freshness of
0 is more effective - you will still get IMS requests for your logs,
but won't have to serve out full images every time.

> C) Supply statistics in Apache combined log format, or in a format that
> can supply all the information about referers, robots, searches, hits
> and users etc.

see squid.conf.default - we support apache's common log format. Or you
could tweak squid to log whatever you need. There was a patch recently
on the -dev list that may be relevant to your needs.

Cheers,
Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.