[squid-users] Justification for authentication at the squid cache level

From: Alex Sharaz <A.Sharaz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:08:38 +0000

Hi all,

I've been running a number of squid caches for a few years here and am now
looking at enforcing authentication at the cache level. Needless to say
I've got a lot of people now saying "why would you want to do that" " not
another login prompt" etc.

While I've got my own ideas as to why we should do this, I'd like some
extra ammunition in the form of other (educational establishment) sites
that went down this route and why. So ....

I'm looking for

a). reasons for implementing authentication at the cache level i.e. how you
persuaded "upper management" that it was a good idea to implement this
functionality
b). response from user base - grumbles? complaints?
c). How you minimised the "additional login to do" problem
d). Implementation problems - any browser specific funnies that caused
problems. As with most sites we've got every flavour of windows out there
running god knows what sort of browser what did people do regarding
supported browsers IE 6 only, Netscape, Mozilla, Phoenix, specifying
"baseline" releases of specific browsers?

Any help appreciated

Alex

Sent using Mulberry 3.01a