Re: [squid-users] Justification for authentication at the squid cache level

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 11 Feb 2003 13:53:57 +0100

tis 2003-02-11 klockan 11.08 skrev Alex Sharaz:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been running a number of squid caches for a few years here and am now
> looking at enforcing authentication at the cache level. Needless to say
> I've got a lot of people now saying "why would you want to do that" " not
> another login prompt" etc.

Why:

  - Ability to use fine grained Access controls depending on the user
  - Auditing in case something happens and you need to track down who
did what. For example if an external company accuses you for hacking
their site, or you suspect that one of your users is doing other illegal
or otherwise unsuitable actions.

And it does not necessarily involve another login prompt. If you use a
windows network with MSIE browsers then Squid can integrate with this.
See http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html#ss23.5

Note: MSIE 6 is quite broken when it comes to authentication.. see the
MS KB article which has been referenced many times recently..

Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden