Re: How to push prompt to browser?

From: Louis Lau <louis_lau@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:59:27 +0800

I have reduced my scope a little now. What i have done is when a cache is
missed, i will
have a filter to see if the url has a parameter made by me, like
"?abc_is_good". If yes, go direct,
If no, (which should be at the first time.), then the squid will generate a
page and the page have some javascript to redirect the user to their
requested url with my generated tag "?abc_is_good" at the end of the url.
Then the page should be in a "loading" mode. The generated page will also
have javascript to open a new browser window and ask whether the user want
to load the page in background in stead of waiting. The popup window will
know the url he/she requested and when
he click the background load button, the page will be stored in something
like a stack for background loading. Currently i have done most part exempt
the part about background loading.
But i have face problems.

1. When a page is redirected that way, the user will lost the parameter they
posted in a form in a
post action, so they will never get to the page because the destination
server will log him off. This
is the case in hotmail.

2. I have done something to filter out the r->urlpath.buf and see if it
contains word like html, jsp etc, if yes, then i use this scheme. Otherwise
if it contains other words, i will just go direct for a miss. However, this
means that i have to include any extension a webpage may have. I don't mind
if i incorrectly forward a text page directly since it do no harm exempt
from going direct.

3. In the background loading method, i have create a new request_t and
storeEntry using the tool supplied in store.c and HttpRequest.c. and then i
copy the original url, host information and put in the new request_t and
storeEntry object. and then i try to forward the request from a threaded
function using this new object. like fwdStart(-1, new_e, new_t); but i don't
think the page is being
fatched this way. But this is better then the way i tried last time, because
at lease squid won't crash.
Am i missing something so the connection is not done?

4. I want to trace the program, i run squid using squid -D mode already, but
the error doesn't shown in screen. i thought they are outputed in stderr. Do
i need to reconfigure squid to do that?

thanks lot.

cheers
Louis