Re: [squid-users] FTP CLIENT.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:33:51 +0100

Marc Elsen wrote:

> "Ampugnani, Fernando" wrote:
> >
> > Marc:
> > I fix it adding port 21 to SSL port. Isnīt recommended, but is the
> > only option that I take.
> >
> > What do you think about this?
>
> Could be dangerous, in security terms.
> Remember the threads on port 25 open's for CONNECT and SPAM
> relaying abuse of squid.
>
> Meaning that it would be wise to use calm ftp clients in
> sec. terms and or securing this access to squid from unintended use

And it won't work unless you also allow CONNECT to any port >1024 which
I defenitely would not recommend for security reasons, requires a
special FTP client who knows how to abuse the HTTP CONNECT proxy method
in such manners.

Using a FTP proxy is strongly recommended. Apart from actually working
for proxying FTP clients this also gives you better control of how/why
the FTP proxy is used, including the ability to use user authentication
to give access to the FTP proxy service.