Re: [squid-users] a problem with access denied

From: Andreas Meyer <anmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:27:11 +0100 (CET)

Am 18 Feb 2003 08:39:35 +1100 schrieb Robert Collins:

> > But now the problem. As soon as I configure the proxy in the Netscape
> > cache-settings I get an Access denied.
>
> You need to enable acceleration *and* proxying if you want this.
> see httpd_accel_with_proxy.

I already did that. Meanwhile I am completly confused. Not looking
through anymore.

> Generally though, I would suggest you don't do this and instead use a
> separate squid instance for browsing - its harder to make configuration
> mistakes leading to an open proxy, when your proxy is protected by a
> firewall.

let's say I have two squids running:
1. squid on http-server
2. squid on the firewall/gateway

First try:
In Opera in the cache/proxy-settings I define the 1. squid and
http to the firewall where the 2. squid is answering. Then I am accelerated
to another machine I defined as accelerated-host. Fine!
-But what is the entry in Opera then for?

Second try:
Then in Opera in the cache/proxy-settings I define the 2. squid
on the firewall and get an Access denied. No accereration anymore.
I don't know why this is happening.

Maybe I have not understand the concept yet. So you say to provide
a proxy to customers, its best to run a squid on the firewall as
accelerator and one provided to customers on another host?

But which one is the caching proxy? Both? Do I need the one on the
gateway only as accelerator? (Of course that would be enough when I
read about performance-issues)

Completly clueless... ;)

--
  Andreas Meyer
Object Class   Common Name   userPassword