Re: [squid-users] advanced caching question!!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 19 Feb 2003 16:31:11 +0100

You did not put any limit on how often the cache should ask the web
servers if the page is still up to date, or how long it should keep on
doing this even if there is no users revisiting the page.

Also, quite many web sites have defined policy of use which denies
robots or other automatic use of the site.

The issue here is that you do not have a user behind these requests,
only a automated program. This automated program is not only using the
resources of your satellite connection, but also all Internet resources
between your connection and the server, plus server resources at the
content provider. All of this without directly paying any of these for
the resources used.

In other words, content providers are happy to provide content to their
users, but quite often not so happy about automated programs which
automatically downloads their content even if there may be no user
actually requesting the content.

Most content providers are not very happy about caches as it is today,
simply because of the fact that caches reduces the traffic on their
servers and sometimes causes problems with stale information (most often
due to badly designed web applications not signaling freshness
information for use by caches and not actually the cache, but it works
without the cache so it must obviously be the fault of the cache...).

ons 2003-02-19 klockan 15.53 skrev Chuck Dutrow:
> I dont understand, why would this make anyone mad, I am trying to
> deliver accurate pages to the user, wouldnt you rather have users
> seeing the newest pages rather than old ones? Isnt squid all about
> delivering pages fast and accurate?
>
> Please explain!
>
> Chuck
>
> Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:
> You surely do not want to do this, or your are likely to make
> many web
> server owners very upset.
>
> Regards
> Henrik
>
> On Wednesday 19 February 2003 05.18, chuckdutrow wrote:
> > I have just added a satellite link to my network, I am using
> squid
> > to cache http requests for my large network, I want to know
> if
> > anyone knows
> > how I can conf squid to use the satellite link to just
> constantly
> > update my cache. I want this to work non stop, I dont want
> any of
> > my users
> > to ever hit a "stale" page. Also I currently have the cache
> > updating via
> > T1, I dont want the T1 to be used unless a new unseeded page
> is
> > requested then once the initial page is seeded I want the
> satellite
> > to constantly update it as well.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!!
> >
> > Chuck