[squid-users] Re: Why no daemon mode?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 01:41:08 +0100

On Thursday 20 February 2003 22.40, Kean Johnston wrote:

> I am sure, in antiquity, there was a reason for this, but
> it has long bothered me that Squid doesn't automatically
> disassociate itself and go into the background. Using
> nohup on the RunCache script is a hack.

Already done since way back. The RunCache scripts actually disable the
builtin daemon mode by using the -N command line switch.

The only reason why the RunCache scripts still exists in the
distribution is because sometimes having a script who restarts and
monitors the daemon is sometimes better as it easily allows for other
custom actions to be taken when restarting the service, and to keep
compability with installations already using RunCache. But most
people start Squid by just starting the binary using the builtin
daemon mode and then use "squid -k" to control the running daemon and
this is the preferred mode of operation, with the -N flag mainly for
running Squid from inttab or interactively while testing.

Note: For a long time the RunCache scripts was not even updated to
send the -N flag, effectively making the script useless unless
manually modified to supply the -N flag to Squid..

Just curious, but what made you think that there was no daemon mode in
Squid and that you must use RunCache?