Re: [squid-users] Extending SquidGuard to work out of a SQL database

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 08:27:52 -0500

Using SQL database would be a big hit in straightforward performance but
would be a huge win for the flexibility of rolling it out to many
different customers with different needs. Something a Value-Adding ISP
would want to use.

As for performance, there is always decision caching, defered logging
and larger hardware to throw at the problem....

I know that proprietry solutions are doing this, with central SQL
servers and distributed engines - the lag in decision changes almost
definitely means that they are caching and they have options to process
logging as flat file updates at scheduled intervals, but they use
RDBMS. I myself have implemented a National network interception engine
that served traffic for 5-10k users running on 5 engines, 1 sql server
(Compaq DL380's)

Joe M